Insight into Requesting Addiction Help
As I’m the one who answers the phone and returns emails and texts I’ve gained some insight into what people are requesting in their time of need. I’ve been lucky to speak with hundreds if not thousands of people about addiction and thought it might be of interest to reflect on some of what I’ve learned and heard, so far in no particular order:
Call or Text 1-829-932-0123 today for more info
- Loved ones often notice the problem long before the individual who’s suffering directly with the addiction. I believe over half of those that contact me for assistance are family or friends.
- Those struggling with substance-use disorders or alcoholism often have very little awareness of what options or support is available.
- Support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12 step groups attract huge stigma, I used to think the same. In my case it was ignorance to what the program entailed and I didn’t want that label attached to me. Once I learned more about AA I realized it was a blueprint for living life on life’s terms.
- People tend to reach out at a point of crisis. Our phone rings when the consequences of someone’s drinking, using or behavior start to have a drastic impact on their life (loss of job, driving license, relationship breakdown, health issues and so forth). How can ‘we’ help earlier? What education is available around addiction? (We go talk to students and allow them to drive the conversation and ask anything in regards to addiction) How do we prevent so many from the slippery slope from socially acceptable drinking to problem drinking to dependency or cross addiction into other drugs?
- More employers are reaching out to us, which is really positive, they care about their employees and want the best for them.
- Some callers are skeptical that rehab can help, and many believe that it will feel like a jail or hospital. Although many rehabs are like that, we and others provide a different option for rehab. You are treated like a guest on a learning retreat. Plenty of 1-1 counselling and homework but also lots outings and moments spent enjoying the gifts of recovery. (Beach outings, hikes, sports or just sitting reading a good book or watching a movie)
- The most serious and determined to get help call my phone 1-829-932-0123 , those that are semi interested might text and those that may be only seeing what options are out there usually email.
- Addiction and alcoholism does not discriminate and we hear from all ages, nationalities and demographics.
- When I share bits of my struggles with addiction in the past they feel a huge relief. For many, knowing that I’ve lived through a similar hell and found a way to recover gives hope that recovery is possible.
- Many are so thankful that someone would listen, too many help lines go unanswered. Wether it’s the middle of the night or if I’m in a meeting or family commitment I answer the call. Giving someone my time and letting them now there is hope also helps me remember when I was in their shoes and I never want to be in that position again.
These are just a few insights I’ve gathered after years of trying to help people recover from their addiction. If you or someone you know is struggling call now, we can help.
Call or text 1-829-932-0123 today
1000mg “NUMB ME NOW!” Pills
Wether it’s just an acute (not chronic) case of insomnia, sadness, grief, depression or pain; the answer seems to be to get some form of 100mg “NUMB ME NOW” pills. I know! That was me in the past and I had dappled in anything that would stop me from feeling. If it was prescribed by my doctor or something I bought off the street was of no concern to me, I just wanted something to numb me. It doesn’t specifically matter what the symptoms are and the substance of choice is irrelevant. It just seems socially acceptable now a days to either get drunk or pop some pills to try and get some reprieve from the stresses of life.
Call 1-829-932-0123 today for help.
Society is moving towards an attitude of instant gratification and “a pill for all ills”. It is becoming far more important for all to become educated on “what and why” we are putting into our bodies and what the long and short term consequences will be. It is inconsequential what the substance is; it could be alcohol, street drugs or whatever 1000mg “NUMB ME NOW” pills your doctor prescribed. Any of the above can lead you astray and down a slippery slope that may eventually lead you to become dependent and addicted.
I’m not trying to say that prescription meds aren’t effective, but more often than not there is a healthier way to deal with life’s ups and downs and also pain, depression, anxiety etc. There is no “one size fits all” remedy for dealing with these obstacles and challenges but there are many options. The multitude of self-help books and websites on the internet should provide some insight into possible healthy solutions. These can range from natural homeopathic treatments, exercise, meditation etc.
These healthy alternatives may not give immediate relief and will take time to get the desired results, but the long term effects won’t be detrimental to your mind and body. Please think twice before running to a doctor to get some 1000mg “NUMB ME NOW” pills.
Tough Love: Enabling Parents of Addicts/Alcoholics
From my perspective of once being in the position of trying to manipulate, making excuses or lie to prolong getting the help I knew I needed. To also witnessing this happening when adult children lie, manipulate and make every excuse as to why they are now ”cured” and don’t need any help or counselling. It breaks my heart seeing these “kids” convince their parents to rescue them again or “bail” them out of rehab. Tough love is sometimes neccesary. Many of these parents have spent a lot of emotional and financial effort to give their child a chance at getting professional help and are trying to save their children’s lives.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Is your child acting like they are entitled to things or your money, or demanding things?
- Do you feel like you are living from crisis to crisis with your child?
- Are you sacrificing too much while your child takes no responsibility?
Continue reading Tough Love: Enabling Parents of Addicts/Alcoholics →
Smile! Take a Holiday while you Recover
Learn to smile and laugh again as addiction treatment doesn’t need to be all sweat and tears. Of course there will be plenty of both (especially sweat) when you get to spend your time at a beautiful resort type addiction treatment facility in the caribbean. Here at Always Hope we understand it is a huge step to take the chance to go to “rehab” and so we want to make your decision to seek help as easy as possible and make your stay with us as pleasant as possible.
Call 1-829-932-0123 now for more info.
Continue reading Smile! Take a Holiday while you Recover →
Addiction treatment works best if you are not in your own environment.
We started an addiction treatment center in the heart of the Caribbean, in our own little paradise, the Dominican Republic.
Here is no distraction, a complete new life, away from everything you know or that might disturb you. We are located at the beautiful North Coast, in the surroundings of Puerto Plata. This location goes hand-in-hand with the programs we offer. The Dominican Republic has lots to offer in the form of activities on your road to recovery. There are many water sports such as surfing, there are amazing golf course’s and plenty of natural adrenaline rushes to be enjoyed. If you just want to sit by the pool, or at the beach in your free time we provide the time to relax and recuperate. We want the process of healing your mind, body and spirit to be as easy a journey as possible and so you will not be confined to the treatment facilities. If you want to enjoy all the great things life can offer join us at Always Hope where we can help you get the life back that you always dreamed of.
Call us today at 1-829-932-0123
Continue reading Addiction treatment in the Caribbean →